Saturday, September 16, 2006

here and there

I am a sensualist. I need to be immersed completely in something to feel like I have any sort of perspective on it. I'm looking back at pictures of Cuba (on which I have tried very hard to avoid reminiscing...privately or otherwise).

I remember cuba like I remember childhood memories of running through sprinklers on summer evenings, or my favourite pair of red jellies (obviously with a bit more substance than shoes).

Or maybe not.

The way my brain works these days. I feel as if I file such things away under 'distant memories of sense'. When something stimulates me; a smell or a sound or an image, it suddenly becomes very vivid again. So vivid in fact that my toes curl and my cunt aches. Like missing a lover. ay carumba as they say.

view from my bathroom window in the morning

Now that the country is entering a new level of uncertainty, the ache is more poignant than before. Not in my cunt granted. nb: I was flipping through my pictures trying to find one representative of my feelings at the moment and I can't seem to come up with any one thing. I could no more choose just one picture to represent the way I feel about Cuba than I could explain the vastness of the experience in one sentence. Just thought I would share.